HomeCasting CallsPlus Size Model AdviceModelling NewsNewsletterBasketCheckoutOrder StatusSitemap
Print-friendly version

Teen Modelling Licensing Laws

teen modelling licensing laws
If any child or young adult is to undergo any type of modelling or other performance for that matter, they need to have a licence. This includes any teen model of school-age, up to and including year 11. If a teen model is to miss school, is receiving payment for any type of modelling job, or if they are performing or modelling for more than three days in any six-month period, then a licence must be apparent.

Child licensing laws are there to make sure your teenager's education, health and safety won't suffer if they spend time modelling, filming, in theatre or any type of sports event outside of school hours.

Something else to consider is that if your teenager is involved in any type of job, whether it's a fashion show or being involved in the local pantomime, a teenage model needs to be accompanied by a registered chaperone at all times, if their parents or carers cannot be present. If you would like to know what is a chaperone then have a look at our section and read all about it!

There are only a very few exceptions when a performance licence isn't needed and so we urge you to get one before you do anything else. During any type of modelling, a child employment officer may ask to see the license, which should clearly show the child's name, what the teen modelling job entails and the date also.
In addition to this, the casting director or model agency, as a licence holder, must also keep records of the time of your teen arrives and departs the venue, the time of each meal or rest break on the day of the photo shoot or fashion show. They also need to have records of the arrangements made for your child's education if this is applicable.
If your teen feels at all unwell, then they shouldn't go to any photo shoot. A record must also be kept of any details of injuries or illnesses suffered at the time of the performance. There should be clear medical certificates from the doctor, stating the teenager's fitness to perform and provide details of all money earned by the teen, and who it was paid to.
Applications for child licenses are dealt with by your child employment officer and any questions you have must be directed straight to them rather than the modelling agency themselves.
If the teen modelling job is going to be a particularly long one, then private tuition needs to be arranged. The tutor and the classroom must first be approved by the Council and the class sizes are limited to no more than six pupils of mixed age or ability, or a class size of 12 if the children are of similar age and standard. If exams are due then modelling which will take your teen out of school, will be rigorously discouraged. When applying for a child license, the child employment officer will look at a number of this use when considering whether a licence should be given. A teen's education can't be allowed to suffer because of modelling job and it is the responsibility of the license holder to make appropriate arrangements and to agree these with the child's head teacher.
Your young teen mustn't take part in any type of modelling job on more than six consecutive days.