Model Agencies - Model Agents

Cartledge House Farm Great Hucklow Derbyshire, SK178RG, United Kingdom,

The Rules and Laws of Teen Modelling

18:53 06-Jun-2020

what is a chaperoneAlthough you are probably parents to a very stroppy teenager who doesn't consider themselves a child anymore, the facts remain that until they leave school at the age of 16, they are still classed as a child. Like any other out-of-school activity, sports events or acting in the local pantomime for example, there are laws surrounding how many hours your child can do. These laws exist to protect the health and safety but also the well-being of your child, as well as ensuring your teenager still gets the best education they deserve, whether they want it or not!

For those of you have children who are still in school the last Friday in June of Year 11, then either you, another family member or a registered chaperone is legally obliged to accompany the teenager on any type of modelling work no matter how long the hours may entail. They will not be admitted with out anyone accompanying them and they also need a licence which we will explain about both below just for you.

What is a chaperone?

As far as your teenager is concerned they will have to accept they need to be accompanied by somebody for every modelling job they undertake while still in school. The chaperone, if a parent or family member isn't available, must be registered by the local authority to look after and care for your child while they are working in any full of the entertainment industry, modelling, being one of the stipulated activities.

It is their job or yours to make certain your teenager doesn't work too many hours without the proper breaks provided. They also need to keep an eye that the child isn't getting overtired and that their safety, comfort and welfare is always taken care of.

It is also a parents or chaperone's responsibility to ensure the necessary education is provided whilst the modelling job is underway. More often than not this isn't a worry as most modelling jobs are simply an afternoon or weekends work possibly, but if it is for something that will take on a lot more time and take your child out of school, then a private tutor may have to be arranged if necessary. The school your child attends must be informed if your child is to be taken out of school but this really should be avoided at all times if possible, especially around exam time.

As a parent or chaperone you are allowed to supervise more than one child at a time, up to a maximum of two children. They do need to be the same sex however, and you or the chaperone are legally responsible for the child at all times unless he or she is actually rehearsing, modelling, or performing.

The chaperone's responsibility and first priority is always the care of the child in their charge. They are also responsible in negotiating with the modelling agency, production on-site, or the casting director to be able to say no if what is being requested is going to be dangerous or detrimental to your child health, education or well-being.

If the photographer or modelling agency requires the child to work longer hours then this should be laid down in the child's license. If not, then the chaperones responsibility is to intervene immediately. At no time should your child perform if they are all well and chaperones must always ask to see the child licence when they arrived at a modelling job and never presume the child is licensed. If the modelling company or agency can't prove a child is licensed and chaperones should contact the children's services authority immediately.

what is a chaperone

Child licensing laws

If you want to allow your teenagers to do any sort of modelling, or performing for that matter, then they must have a licence if the public will be viewing. Any child who is still in school and up to and including year 11, a licence must be obtained. The reasons are as follows.

-If your child is going to miss any school what so ever, no matter how short a time, then they need to have a child licence. The work also needs to be approved of by the head teacher and it is your responsibility as a parent or chaperone to inform your school and ask permission first.

- If your child is receiving payment for any type of work, whether it is for modelling, performing in a pantomime or local theatre company's performance, or even any type of sports event, then a child licence is needed.

-The length of time also has an effect and if your child is performing more than three days in any six-month period, then the child licence is needed. You don't know what is going to happen in the future and maybe the modelling job in question is a one off but it is better safe than sorry and get a licence retrospectively rather than getting into hot water afterwards.

A child licence exists to make sure your child's health and safety but also their education doesn't suffer if they take time out performing in any kind of work.

Your child will also need to be accompanied by a registered chaperone when their parent or full-time carer can't be present. During any type of modelling work a child employment officer can ask to see the license. The licence should clearly show your child's name, the nature of the work and the date of the performance.

The casting director or performance producer, as a licence holder must also keep records of the time of your child's arrival and departure and make a note of the breaks and mealtimes on the day of the photo shoot of fashion show. They also need to keep records of the arrangements made for your child's education if this is appropriate.

Records must also be kept of any injuries or illnesses suffered by your child at the time of modelling taking place. There should also be medical certificates from the doctor, stating your child's fitness to perform.

Details of all money earned by your child and who the cheque was paid to must also be recorded.

Applications for child licenses are dealt with by your child employment officer, but you can get help with your local modelling agency who should really have already explained all this to you. When applying for a child licence. The child employment officer will look at a number of issues about the modelling job or performance and it is up to them to approve the license in the first place. It is of paramount importance that your child's education won't be allowed to suffer through the type of modelling job and its responsibility of the licence holder to make arrangements for them with private tuition if necessary. You also need to agree these with the child's head teacher before the modelling job takes place. Never take your child about school unless you have discussed it with your child's head teacher and gained approval first.

If private tuition has to be arranged on the modelling job is going to take longer than was originally thought, the tutor and the classroom must first be approved by the Council before the licence will be issued. The class sizes are limited to no more than six pupils and these can be of mixed age or ability, or a class size of up to 12, if the children are of similar age and educational standard.

The last point is that your child must not take part in any type of modelling or performance work for more than six consecutive days in a row.